Capital Park Museum Spring/Summer Events

Home Forums Baton Rouge Woodworking Club Forum Capital Park Museum Spring/Summer Events

This topic contains 20 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Mark 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Mark
    Participant

The Capital Park Museum has contacted the club about participating in a Spring/Summer program on Saturdays that would expose museum visitors to living cultural traditions and art forms throughout Louisiana. As woodworkers, we would be demonstrating and showing our work. The program is pretty flexible with dates and content.

I would like to participate, but would need some help to do this. You don’t have to be a hand tool expert, just have an interest in promoting the club and educating visitors of all ages to the museum.

Please respond to this post with ideas for the events and whether or not you would want to participate.

Jack Carmena
    Participant

Count me in.
    Jack Carmena

Bob Chambers
    Participant

Count me in as well. Having some live demonstrations would be nice, but if we can’t manage that then a nice display of our work would make a great impression. Thinking back to our Maker’s Faire booth there was lots of interest in what we displayed. So all you wood turners, carvers, box makers, toy makers etc. this is a good opportunity to show your work and promote the club. I’ll have a few things there and hope you will, too!

Khanh Bui
    Participant

Depends on the date, I can probably do it.

Terry Landry
    Participant

I would like to participate. Might be a good excuse to build a treadle lathe?????

Cody Henderson
    Participant

Count me in.

Mark
    Participant

Thanks for the quick responses. I’m sure there will be a few more, but we have enough people to have one or two sessions. I like the idea of the treadle lathe. It has a way of bringing people in to see what is going on and if made mobile, we can use it at WBR, RLM and the Capital Park. As Bob mentioned, display of what we do would be nice and doesn’t have to be limited to turned items. I’ll contact the museum to confirm we will participate. we will need to come up with date(s) and what we’ll be doing to present to them.

Thanks to all who have responded so far,
    Mark

Brian Fitzgerald
    Participant

Count me in also!

Mark
    Participant

Update 1/23/2018

I went by and talked to Scott at the museum today. We settled on a date of April 7. I don’t have a time yet, but will update that here soon.

Current proposal is to have a spring pole lathe and two work benches. We would demonstrate the use of the lathe and use the benches to demonstrate other hand tools.

We need to build the lathe and Terry has offered his shop to do that. That will occur on February 17th. If you want to participate in this build, you can post to this topic. You don’t have to be working at the museum on April 7 to participate in the spring pole lathe build.

So if you want to help with the lathe build, respond here.
    Second, if you have offered to help and can make the April 7th date, respond here with ideas on what to demonstrate. We could build a simple item using the lathe and the benches, using whatever tools necessary. Or we could just demonstrate the use of several different tools.

I’ll consolidate the ideas to finalize what we’ll do and forward to the museum.

Kesh Ikuma
    Participant

Mark,

I should be able to attend with the lathe build. (Even if it’d be a partial day if full day is not viable.)

The April date is a bit far out to make a commitment, but you are welcome to take my bench (especially if I’ll be available).

Kesh

Lee Owens
    Participant

would like to participate in the lathe build. The 4/7 date at the museum is also a club meeting date. I will go to the club meeting.

Brian Fitzgerald
    Participant

I would also be able to help with the build on the 17th and the demonstration.

Chrys Albarado
    Participant

May I please tag along?

Terry Landry
    Participant

Building the pole lathe: Just a reminder we’ll be building the lathe this Saturday, Feb 17. Will probably take all day. Mark And I will get started
    at 9:00 am. If you want to take part come by… morning, afternoon, all day…
    doesn’t matter, come when you can. Our plan is to be able to give it a test run
    by the end of the day.
    By the way, if you’re wondering, What is a pole lathe?
    Well now… here lies a golden opportunity.

Ray McCon
    Participant

It looks like I will get free this Saturday for the lathe build. I’m excited!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.